R.I.P. Ray Bradbury, You Will Always Be Loved

"There's no use going to school unless your final destination is the library." - Ray Bradbury

Photo by Alan Light
Ray Bradbury died today at the age of 91. He led a very full life doing what he loved to do, and became a world renowned writer, among other things. His fans span many cultures, genres, generations and continents. He leaves behind one of the most impressive bodies of work in the literary, film and television arts, a legacy few of us will ever achieve.

I am surprisingly uninspired to carry on with any of my writing obligations today, save for this blog post, which has come purely by accident. I did not sit down to write a blog post about Ray Bradbury, it just happened. I have read embarrassingly few of his books, and yet he inspires me through Twilight Zone episodes, and through my mentors and heroes such as Neil Gaiman and Ray Harryhausen. They were, after all, great friends, which is an inspiration in and of itself.

We should not mourn his passing, but rejoice in the constant stream of gifts he gave us throughout his long life. Few lights shine so brightly, and I am grateful to bask in his everlasting glow. Fly high and free, Mr. Bradbury, may your wisdom be shared by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment