Testing My Faith & More Inspirations from Neil Gaiman and Stephen King

As another week begins with yet another round of applications for freelance writing gigs, I can't help but feel a little self-doubt and uncertainty about my choice of writing endeavors. Not that I am for one instant thinking I should choose another career path--no way, uh uh, no how--but the direction and placement of my energies feels like it just may be a little off...

Something keeps telling me that I should be writing a book. "But I haven't a clue what that book should be about!" I scream inside my head. I really don't. As I've said several times before, I'm not a fiction writer, I don't know how to make stuff up, I only know how to tell the truth. Well, be that as it may, the always-inspirational Neil Gaiman and Stephen King have once again come to my rescue by way of the posted interview on Neil's Blog. It matters not one whit if you are not a fan of either writer's books, what is important here is what they have to say about the craft of writing. Particularly when Stephen King himself states (in Danse Macabre) that if you only write 300 words a day for a year, you will have a novel at the end of the year. Wow. See how things can be vastly different when you look at them from a different perspective? 300 words is practically nothing, I write that many times over just in a blog post! However, I do understand the importance, skill and determination of coming up with the right 300 words.

Well, you know what? The description of the class I'm teaching in the Fall is due within 3 days time, and that's a pretty important 300 words (240 actually). This is the snippet that will be printed in the class schedule, telling prospective students what the class is about. And since the key here is to have as many students enroll as possible, I'd better make those words count! Gulp.

So today's food for thought is this; do not let your personal faith in your endeavors wane when things don't seem to be going anywhere. Look at your goals from a slightly different perspective to see if another pathway opens up that you may have not previously been aware of. More than likely you'll find that these little paths are always there, we sometimes just need a special lantern to see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment