Preparing For Success with Prep Work: Mental & Physical

While I haven't done much writing in the last couple of days, I've sure been paving the way with 'prep work'. Prep in the physical and mental senses; I finally ditched my dinosaur of a desktop computer setup, for my trusty laptop simply connected to my printer. This means not only can I utilize my writing space more efficiently, with less clutter, this computer is at least ten times faster than my old one for taking care of my online business (selling records) so I work much smarter, and not harder. Check.

Mentally, I have been spending a lot more time reading (as well I should be!) by buying some used books on writing for 'work' and for 'play'. This weekend alone, I picked up my first Neil Gaiman book; Smoke & Mirrors, my first Tabitha King (Stephen's wife, of course) book; Small World, and my first Clive Barker books, including the one that started the Hellraiser series (one of my favorite horror franchises). Whew! I've got my work cut out for me there, and I'm lovin' every minute of it. Neil has yet again sparked inspiration by giving me the idea to begin my foray into fiction writing with 100-word-stories. That is a brilliant way to begin, for me at least, because there isn't much room for building characters and plots, you simply tell the story--but leave out all the extraneous bits. Clever, challenging and totally up my alley. Check.

Further mental prep work I have been doing is preparing myself for the idea of really getting my writing out there by delving into the Writer's Market a bit more seriously. Admittedly, I am overwhelmed to say the least at the sheer number of magazines out there for submitting stories to. Although, I have to whittle down the genres (once I figure out which one I'll be writing in) which will (hopefully) make the submission process a little less daunting.

Somehow in all of this, I have no fear of rejection, which is an absolute first for me. It is fascinating to experience this particular part of my writing career and path free of fear, self doubt, worry (which is really just another face of fear) or hesitancy. I hear no little voice in my head telling me I'm not good enough or that I couldn't possibly write anything worthy. Wow. Also a first. Which tells me I am on the right path, for possibly the first time in my life. Wait, scratch that, everything in my life has happened exactly as it should have, good bad and ugly. That's a hard one to swallow sometimes, but I'm beginning to understand and fully embrace it.

No comments:

Post a Comment