Moving Forward with LinkedIn Groups

As mentioned in a previous post, LinkedIn is the newest site I have joined for networking and connecting to those with like minds. It's much more than a social media site, it looks to have some real potential for future freelancing gigs, not to mention hooking up with current friends and colleagues. And as we all know; it's not what you know, it's who you know that can make all the difference when moving along on the path to your dreams, right??

There are many, many groups related to various interests that you can join and get to know other people who are into the same things. For example, there are a mind-boggling 2000+ writer's groups currently available on LinkedIn. Now, I don't know who has that much time to devote to joining groups, but this is an excellent way to get the creative juices flowing, particularly when you're stumped for a subject to write about. So far, I've found fellow users to be very friendly, helpful and generous with tips and knowledge, which is important to me.

Your profile is extremely important at LinkedIn, as the information you add is how you will come up in searches. Filling out my profile was at first a bit intimidating, as there isn't much relevant information to add--in my mind, that is. But as my friend Joe of Freelance-Zone.com constantly reminds me; all of the writing I've done literally my whole life is relevant, and not to discredit it. I'm working on that... Of course the beauty of your profile is that you can change it at any given time, to reflect whatever subject you're currently diving into, or to include your latest job, gig or any other activity you wish to include. Just remember to keep it professional, but don't be afraid to let your personality shine through. Good luck!