Overcoming Adversity with the (Hand) Written Word

After recovering from the initial stress of finding myself without an internet connection, (ain't being broke a blast?) I then decided I wasn't going to let it get the better of me and got out some paper and a pen. After all, how many centuries have we been putting ink to paper to form our words? Check out my article on the Power of the (Hand) Written Word on HubPages!

I liken the hand written word to collecting and listening to records (as you may know by now I'm an advocate of both), as it's something everyone used to do. Both are considered to be 'old fashioned' and in danger of becoming extinct, unless we keep the love of them alive and kicking. Both are considered a craft; DJ's are highly respected on and off the dancefloor, and scribes were highly regarded in their day, centuries ago. It was a precious thing, to know how to write in the physical sense as well as the mental one.

The internet is a mind boggling, amazing invention. It allows me to 'make a living' from the comfort of my own home, while connecting me to people all over the world. But let's face it, it's also an insidious distraction. I know that when I sit down at my desk in the morning to begin my writing projects for the day, two hours will have unwittingly slipped by me before one single word is written on any virtual page. From email accounts (and I have 5 of them), daily news, social networking, to searching freelancing sites. While all of these activities are necessary in my line of work, they also keep me from doing the one thing I have set out to do: write.

Perhaps it's a matter of prioritizing. Self discipline (No, you may not check your email before you have written a 500 word blog post!) whatever the case, it just may be that I have found a solution to the not-enough-hours-in-the-day syndrome: write by hand. Somehow the words flow effortlessly when you're not staring at a blank screen , empty editing box or cold, pretentious keyboard.

So what have we learned today? Well, I for one have learned not to let anything stand in my way of my passion for writing (this post was written and submitted by my iPhone), especially not a little thing like a disabled internet connection. We have gotten along without it for basically our entire existance. Besides, I've had the most wonderful day; sipping cups of tea with the iPod on shuffle, watching the rain outside for inspiration and hand-writing today's post within a 3-D skull notebook in vibrant purple ink. In fact, may just do this more often...

My point is, we can work around life's little obstacles with a bit of ingenuity and perseverence. And overcoming any obstacle should be treated as a victory, no matter how small.

Happy (hand) writing!